Lung cancer is a formidable adversary, affecting thousands of lives across the globe. A lung cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, filled with uncertainty and fear. During these challenging times, it is essential to have a compassionate and skilled medical team by your side. Dr. Ashish Pokharkar, recognized as the best lung cancer doctor in Pune, is a beacon of hope for patients seeking comprehensive and personalized lung cancer treatment in PCMC.
Understanding Lung Cancer
Lung cancer is a malignancy that originates in the lungs. It typically begins when abnormal cells in the lung start to grow uncontrollably, forming a mass called a tumor.
Types Of Lung Cancer
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): This is the most prevalent form, accounting for approximately 85% of all lung cancer cases. It is a slower-growing cancer that usually starts in the larger airways of the lungs. NSCLC is a slow-growing cancer, often diagnosed in its later stages.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC): SCLC is a more aggressive form of lung cancer, accounting for around 15% of cases. Small Cell Lung Cancer is a less common but more aggressive type of lung cancer, often associated with heavy smoking. It spreads quickly and is often diagnosed at an advanced stage.
Symptoms and Causes of Lung Cancer
Early detection and understanding the common symptoms of lung cancer are critical to effective treatment. The signs and symptoms of lung cancer may include:
- Persistent Cough: A chronic cough that worsens over time, often accompanied by blood or rust-colored sputum.
- Shortness of Breath: Difficulty in breathing or wheezing.
- Chest Pain: Dull, aching chest pain, often aggravated by deep breathing, coughing, or laughing.
- Unexplained Weight Loss: A sudden and unexplained drop in weight.
- Fatigue: Feeling extremely tired, with no apparent cause.
- Hoarseness: A persistent change in the voice or the development of a new, raspy voice.
- Recurring Infections: Frequent respiratory infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia.
The primary cause of lung cancer is exposure to carcinogens, particularly cigarette smoke. However, non-smokers can also develop lung cancer, often due to secondhand smoke exposure, radon gas, asbestos, and other environmental factors.
Diagnosis of Lung Cancer
Early diagnosis of lung cancer can significantly improve treatment outcomes. Dr. Ashish Pokharkar and his team employ a range of diagnostic methods to confirm the presence of lung cancer:
- Imaging: Chest X-rays and CT scans provide detailed images of the lungs, helping to detect tumors and determine their size and location.
- Biopsy: A tissue sample is collected from the lung for examination under a microscope to confirm the presence of cancer cells.
- Sputum Cytology: Analysis of mucus coughed up from the lungs may reveal cancer cells.
- Bronchoscopy: A thin, flexible tube with a camera is inserted into the airways to examine the lungs and collect samples.
- PET Scans: Positron emission tomography scans help identify cancerous cells and their locations.
- Molecular Testing: This assesses genetic mutations in lung cancer, which helps in tailoring treatment plans.
Choosing the right healthcare provider is critical when dealing with a lung cancer diagnosis. Dr. Ashish Pokharkar, the best lung cancer surgeon in PCMC, Pune, is dedicated to providing compassionate, personalized, and expert care. Patients and their families can find hope and support at his CancerSurgeryPune clinic, knowing that they are in capable hands with a team committed to their well-being and recovery.
If you or a loved one are faced with a lung cancer diagnosis, know that you don’t have to face this journey alone. Dr. Ashish Pokharkar Cancer Specialist in Pune and his team are here to provide the best possible care, ensuring that you have the support and expertise needed to fight lung cancer and regain a fulfilling life.